Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Watson Lake

Trying to see how close I can get to Whitehorse.

What a day!  Beautiful.  Scary.  Sunny.  Cold and wet.  My beautiful Hummer got her windshield chipped today.  She's taken a beating and kept on humming like a Timex.  When I get to Anchorage I am going to have to give her some tender loving care.  No cell service most of the day.



The Alaska Highway is more like Patterson Road back home-or what was my home.  A two lane road in just about the same condition.  This is a highway in name only.  You can drive for a couple of hours and not see anything moving.  While my experience has not been as bad as some of the stories I've read in books, you do need to watch your gas.  I have a full tank's work of gas in the trailer-just in case.


Well didn't make it to Whitehorse.  After twelve and half hours + time out for gas and bathroom breaks for me and the babies, I made it to Watson Lake.  Drove through Toad River (visited the Toad River Lodge) , Muncho Lake, Contact Creek Lodge and now Watson Lake where I gassed up.  I asked the nice young man where I can find an RV park.  He told me everything was closed but that I could park on his property and he'd give me a power hookup.  I am using his wireless to write this.

As you all know, I am a cynic.  Coming up on leaving, I kept hearing how I should not be talking to anyone.  Only stop at Flying J or Loves.  Be afraid, be very much afraid!!  I have learned otherwise.

This trip has shown me that there are a lot of warm and generous people out there.  Like the lady who helped me back out of a dead end street at 12:30 at night.  The truck drivers in Edmonton with huge tats on his head who gave me good advice on where not to go.  The owner of Northern Lights RV Park who showed me how to service my trailer.  Countless little things that made this jump off a cliff not as bad as it could have been.

Today I also saw
* Buffalo
* Caribou
* Wolf
* Moose
* Mountain Goat(??)

What do you do when you are driving down the road and in the middle of it is a buffalo?  Nothing he is big and heavy and can do what he likes!!

Northern Lights RV Park

NLRV  was another park...

Grounds ..... Really nice.  All snow enclosed.
WiFi       .....  A little slow but useable.
Bathrooms ..... A real treat, they are clean and private.  Takes looneys
Laundry .....  Good.
Helping Hands ..... Priceless, they showed me how to add water and clean tanks.
Over All ..... 4.8 out of 5.

Good Nite


1 comment:

  1. Hello, Hello, is the the Franklin Expedition ? We are sending out a search party.
    Ask the locals for whale blubber, eat the dogs and wrap yourself in the down
    duvet till we get there. It may take till late May.

    ReplyDelete